The Musselburgh Roads Cycling Club was formed in January 1936 by a breakaway group of 16 from the Musselburgh Clarion. The members had nowhere to meet and for the first 3 months met in the open until they where able to rent a room at a local barber’s shop. The dream of those early members that was sadly unrealised was to purchase their own clubroom. By 1938 membership had grown to 31 and the club began to make its presence felt in competition. The start of the war in 1939 put the club on hold for several years. To survive 4 local clubs formed an alliance under the name Edinburgh and District United. The MRCC reformed again in its own right in January 1945 and the year after moved from a hut at Fisherrow railway sidings they had occupied since 1940 to its present home in the old police station in Musselburgh Town Hall.
The club has a long and successful history of competitive cycling. Jock Allison who in 1945 won the British Best All Rounder title, to date still the only Scottish club rider to do so. Janet Sutherland who dominated Scottish woman’s cycling in 1951-4. Sandy Gilchrist who in 1977 won 5 individual and 4 team Scottish Championships. Many other riders from the club have won National Championships or been selected to compete at World Championship level or the Commonwealth Games.
Today, Club Members take part in track racing, road racing, time trials and occasionally mountain biking. Track racing is becoming more and more popular due to the convenience of the Meadowbank Stadium, especially for youngsters, and partly also due to success at world level by our Scottish cyclists.